Sugar snap peas are a good source of vitamin C, packed with dietary fiber and high in Vitamin K. They contain phytonutrients that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and are naturally low in fat; saturated fat free; sodium free; cholesterol free.
How to Select
Choose firm, smooth and bright green peas that are blemish-free
How to Store
Refrigerate sugar snap peas for 10 days to 14 days.
5 Ways to Enjoy Sugar Snap Peas!
- A Pea Pesto. The light, sweet tasting pea pairs beautifully with fresh mint or basil. In a food processor, puree fresh herbs, boiled peas, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, parmesan and salt and presto! You have pea pesto.
- Crisp green salad. Nothing makes a salad pop like sugar snap peas. Simply top of your summer salad with sugar snap peas to add texture and flavor!
- In a pasta primavera! Nothing turns pasta into a summertime dish like fresh peas. Whether you use them in a light cream sauce or simply dressed with olive, your dish will leave mouths watering.
- Roasted snap peas with shallots. Bake sugar snap peas with thinly sliced shallot, olive oil, salt and pepper on a baking sheet at 475°F for about 15 minutes. Top with crumbled bacon and you’ll have a delectable side dish ready
- Just Pop a Few! Then a few more. They’re delicious as is!
Makes: 4 Servings (~1 cup each)
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved (about 2 cups)
- 7 ounces yellow wax beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 10)
- Steam peas over 2 inches of boiling water, stirring once, until crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towel. Steam wax beans until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet. Refrigerate until chilled, about 20 minutes.
- Whisk lime juice, oil, cilantro, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add radishes, peas and beans; toss to coat. Serve chilled.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 110 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono; 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 157 mg sodium; 140 mg potassium
Recipe & Photo: eatingwell.com