Southwest Quinoa Grain Salad
Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 ½ cups quinoa, dry
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed well
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn, rinsed well
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced (~2 cups)
- 1 medium red onion, diced (~1-1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 limes juiced
- ¼- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 1½ quarts of water to a boil. Add quinoa. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Allow to simmer until quinoa “pops” or absorbs all of the water (about 15-20 minutes). Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- While the quinoa cooks, prep all ingredients above.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, lime, cilantro, cumin, cayenne pepper, chill powder, salt and pepper.
- Once quinoa has cooled, mix in dressing. For best results, refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to serving.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 480 Calories, 4.5 g Fat (0 g Sat fat), 0 mg Cholesterol, 20 mg Sodium, 74 g Carbohydrate, 12 g Fiber, 14.5 g Protein