Makes: 5 Servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 pounds jumbo shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 1½ cups dry quinoa (or rice, if preferred)
- ½ cup red pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric, ground
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix adobo spice ingredients. In a larger bowl, add shrimp and coat with adobo spice thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.*
- While the shrimp is marinating, bring 3 cups of water and quinoa to a boil. Turn down heat and allow to simmer, stirring consistently, for about 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed and quinoa is plump and fluffy. Set aside to cool.
- Remove shrimp from the refrigerator and add to the quinoa along with the remaining ingredients (red onion, red bell pepper, scallion, cilantro, and lime juice). Give a good stir to mix.
*Tip: If using frozen shrimp, follow instructions on the bag to defrost properly and completely to reduce risk for foodborne illness.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 342 Calories, 7 g Fat (<1 g Sat), 352 mg Cholesterol, 423 mg Sodium, 21 g Carbohydrate, 3 g Fiber, 42 g Protein