Did you resolve to reach your ideal body weight this year? More than likely, this isn’t the first time…
Though most of us know what it takes to reach our weight loss goals, adhering to a long-term weight management plan can be a difficult challenge.
As a nutritionist, I encourage clients to identify potential setbacks, learn to cope with temptation and stay confident during the maintenance phase of weight loss.
The trick is to develop mindful habits and reward yourself here and there for a job well done! Remember that lifestyle changes should occur in small steps and if you fall off the horse, don’t be afraid to get back on and try again!
- Eliminate triggers and cues that cause you to overeat. Instead of mindless snacking while watching TV, drink some tea or just portion out your snack.
- Plan meals and keep a food diary. It helps to stay aware of everything you are consuming. (I still use this one when I find myself getting off track!)
- Stimulus control. Make sure to chew slowly, snack on satiating foods that are high in fiber and drink plenty of water. Thirst often masks itself as hunger!
- Positive reinforcement. For every three pounds lost, buy yourself a new top! Keep motivational quotes or sticky notes around your home and office.
- 5. Social support. Seek help from family and friends or attend a support group with others embarking on a similar lifestyle change!
Chicken Tzatziki Pitas
Makes: 4 Pitas
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: ~50 minutes
- 1¼ pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 7 ounces plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 4 large whole-wheat pita pockets
- 3 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup seedless cucumber, diced thin
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, mix Greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon, dill, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. For best flavor, refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes before serving.
- Heat a small amount of cooking spray or oil in a large skillet. Sear chicken breasts for about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken breasts to a baking dish and place in the oven. Continue to cook for 15 minutes per side or until chicken is completely cooked through. Set chicken breasts aside to cool.
- Stuff each pita pocket with sliced chicken, tzatziki and red cabbage and serve!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 333 Calories, 7.7 g Fat (<1 g Sat Fat), 120 mg Cholesterol, 224 mg Sodium, 16.5 g Carbohydrate, 2 g Fiber, 52 g Protein
Article originally published on the Pathmark Live Better Blog