Adapted from Big Girls, Small Kitchen recipe for Potato Kugel with Sauteed Shallots
Prep: 30 minutes
Total: 90 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 apples
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, roughly chopped
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a small skillet, cook the shallots in 1 tablespoon of oil and a dash of salt over medium heat. Once the shallots are browned, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, grate the potatoes, onions and apples. Add the shallots, eggs, egg yolk, salt, 1½ tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon of honey and sage to the mix.
- Use the remaining ½ tablespoon of oil to grease a baking sheet (4 x 6-inch, 2-inch deep baking sheet should do the trick). Pour in the kugel batter and bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F and add the remaining honey to the top of the kugel for an extra glaze of sweetness!
- Remove the kugel from the oven and allow it to cool before serving.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 361 Calories, 9 g Fat (1 g Sat), 132 mg Cholesterol, 1200 mg Sodium, 63 g Carbohydrate, 7 g Fiber, 7 g Protein