Makes: 3 Servings
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 75 minutes
- 1, 6-ounce can salmon, skinless, boneless in water
- ½ cup red pepper, diced
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup cooked brown rice*
- 1 tablespoon mustard, whole grain or Dijon
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
*Tips: Use leftover brown rice or substitute whole wheat bread crumbs for the rice
- Drain the liquid from the salmon. (If available, use a cheesecloth to squeeze the water from the salmon.)
- In a medium bowl, mix together salmon, red pepper, onion, brown rice, mustard, cumin, curry powder, and lemon juice. Add salt, pepper and any other desired seasonings to taste. Mix in eggs.
- Divide the mixture into three parts, shaping them into even-sized patties. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and chill for an hour.
- Heat oil or cooking spray in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Cook each patty until browned or about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Serve on toast or on top of greens!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 177 Calories, 4.5 g Fat (<1 g Sat), 31 mg Cholesterol, 105 mg Sodium, 13.5 g Carbohydrate, 2 g Fiber, 17.5 g Protein