Makes: 10 Servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, low-sodium, rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, low-sodium, rinsed
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped into ½-inch thick pieces
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 fluid ounce red wine
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed
- 1 green or red pepper, chopped
- 1 small Spanish onion
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- ½ tablespoon garlic, minced (about 2 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- In a large pot, heat olive oil, garlic, onion and chopped peppers over medium-high heat.
- Add 4 cups of water, red wine, and rice. Bring to a boil, then simmer and cover.
- Once the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, add the remaining ingredients to the pot. Return to a rolling boil and cover incompletely to let some steam escape from the pot.
- Continue to cook for about 25 minutes or until squash softens.
- Season with salt, pepper and basil towards and serve!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 270 Calories, 3.5 g Fat (<1 g Fat), 0 mg Cholesterol, 347 mg Sodium, 50 g Carbohydrate, 10 g Fiber, 10 g Protein