I remember the days. Class all day, exams each week, ten-page papers due on top of it all… college ain’t easy! Truth be told, it’s hard to worry about eating right. Not to mention, it can get expensive.
Don’t get me wrong; I had been known to order pizza at midnight here and there, but if I knew then what I know now… All it takes is having the right food stashed away. A barren cupboard leaves room for indulgent food purchases.
Start fresh this year and adopt these healthy habits that do not require too much thought at all!
- Stock up on the Essentials. Rice, frozen foods, canned goods, condiments and other foods with a long shelf life reduce the need to grocery shop often.
Tip: Stay away from ready-made foods founds in the frozen aisle and always give canned goods a good rinse to rid of added sodium.
- Snack on Brain-fuel. Save money by packing baggies of nuts, blueberries, or other high-fiber foods to keep energy high and your belly full.
Remember: The worst thing you can do for your energy is skip a meal or snack.
- Group Cooking (in Bulk!) Share resources with roommates or friends and have a potluck dinner! Always try to make enough for leftovers.
- Cook to Unwind. It’s a productive way to spend your study breaks!
- Healthy Ingredient Swaps. Try to limit the fat content of foods when grocery shopping and cooking.
- Buy Produce Often. A grocery shop should mainly consist of fresh foods in order to spend less and boost your nutrition.
Besides late-night pizzas, breakfast for dinner was always one of my favorite “go-to” meals. Try this “Green Eggs Breakfast Burrito” as a delicious, satiating, and nutritious meal!
Green Eggs Breakfast Burrito with Chimichurri Dressing
Makes: 3 Servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 3 large whole-wheat tortilla wraps
- 1 dozen egg whites (about 2 cups egg beaters)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 green pepper, diced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- ½ tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
- dash of salt
Optional: ¼ cup shredded cheese, 2 Tablespoons hot sauce, ¼ cup salsa
- Preheat a toaster oven to broil. Toast whole-wheat tortillas on lightly greased foil for about two to three minutes.
- Place a small frying pan over medium heat. Grease lightly with cooking spray.
- Add the onions, peppers and spinach to the pan, sautéing for a few minutes (or until they begin to cook down).
- Add eggs to the pan. Scramble or cook into an omelet.
- Assemble eggs onto the toasted tortilla. Top with chimichurri dressing and garnish your burrito as desired!
- Wrap into a burrito, folding the ends in first.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 245.5 Calories, 1 g Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 405 mg Sodium, 45 g Carbohydrate, 6.5 g Fiber, 11.5 g Protein
Article originally published on the Pathmark Wellness Blog