This month, take a minute to learn how you can protect your heart and reduce your risk for high blood pressure.
Know the facts:
High blood pressure affects people of all ages, races and genders. It is an epidemic that claims one life every 40 seconds. In fact, stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in this nation. Suffering from a stroke can also lead to paralysis, confusion, speech impairment, and depression.
How to find out if you are at risk?
- Visit your physician regularly to get your blood pressure checked. A desirable blood pressure is 120/80.
- Get your blood work taken annually. Lab work gives an accurate measure of your cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
To reduce your risk for high blood pressure:
- Exercise Regularly
- Eat a Healthy Diet
- Maintain a Healthy Weight
- Limit Alcohol Intake and Quit Smoking!
For more information on heart disease and stroke prevention, visit the American Heart Association.
Niçoise Salad with Honey-Basil Vinaigrette
Makes: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 2 (6-ounce) cans of light tuna in water, drained
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 3 cups spring mix Greens
- 4 hardboiled eggs, halved, yolks removed
- ¼ pound green beans, trimmed and steamed
- 4 red bliss potatoes, boiled and quartered
- ¾ pound vine tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon honey
- In a small bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise and a dash of salt and pepper. Stir and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, mix the remaining ingredients.
- Portion 2-3 ounces of tuna per salad.
- Drizzle with honey basil vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 246 Calories, 7 g Fat (1.3 g Sat, 1 g Poly, .4 g Mono), 27 mg Cholesterol, 171 mg Sodium, 28 g Protein, 16 g Carbohydrate, 3 g Fiber
This article was also published on the Pathmark Nutrition Tip Blog