Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: Approximately 45 minutes
- 1 pound yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ¾ cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Heat oil over low-medium heat in a nonstick saucepan and add sliced shallots.
- Stir shallots frequently for about twenty minutes until tender and brown. Transfer shallots to a small bowl.
- In a large saucepan, add water and quartered potatoes. Bring water to boil and reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered for about fifteen minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pot. Add milk, cinnamon and chili powder. Stir and mash until potatoes reach desired consistency.
- Top mashed potatoes with crispy shallots and serve.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 196 Calories, 4 grams Protein, 3 grams Fat (<1.0 gram Saturated Fat), 40 grams Carbohydrate, 4.8 grams Fiber, 3.8 grams Sugar, 600 mg Potassium, 25 mg Sodium