Makes: 8 Servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup wheat berries, rinsed
- 1 package chopped butternut squash
- 2 medium sized apples
- 1 Pomegranate
- 1 large orange
1. Bring three cups of lightly salted water and wheat berries to a boil. Reduce to low heat and cook uncovered for about an hour or until tender. Drain.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. While the wheat berries cook, place squash on a lightly greased baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. NOTE: WEAR AN APRON. THIS NEXT STEP WILL MAKE A MESS. Halve the pomegranate lengthwise twice. Quarter each half. Over a bowl of cold water, gently massage each seed from the skin. Allow clusters to soak in the water. The membrane will rise to the top making separating much easier.
4. Chop or slice apples evenly. Add a small amount of lemon juice or vinegar to prevent browning. Set aside.
4. Place the cooked wheat berries in a serving bowl. Add apples, pomegranate seeds, squash to bowl. Zest orange in a small bowl. Juice half of the orange into the bowl and mix. If desired, add orange segments into the wheat berry salad.
5. Top with orange zest (If desired, add chopped pecans). Serve!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 118 Calories, 20 grams Carbohydrate, 2.8 grams Protein, <1 gram Fat, 5.5 gram Fiber, 70 mg Sodium, 280 mg Potassium